Wednesday, March 5, 2014

The magical spell of Moonrise Kingdom?!


Yes, I may be a late boomer, but it's just my way of showing how much I care for those of you who haven't seen this Marvelous flick! I've been waiting to watch this movie for a few long months, as I was always too busy or not in the required mood... So, I can  proudly tell you that I finally accomplished this task! 

Long story short?
Set on an island off the coast of New England in the summer of 1965, Moonrise Kingdom tells the story of two twelve-year-olds who fall in love, make a secret pact and run away together into the wilderness. As various authorities try to haunt them down, a violent storm is brewing off-shore; and the peaceful island community is turned upside down...



My impressions in brief:

Ardent.
Whimsical.
Poignant.

I have to admit, I was a bit reticent at the beginning because I didn't know what to expect from the very young cast, but to my surprise, everything turned out to be fascinating and utterly artistic. What struck me at first was the chosen color scheme, made mainly of pastels. From clothes, to houses and the entire realm, everything matches and depicts the '60 atmosphere. 
I can't refrain from confessing that during the hour and a half, I kept imagining scenarios of causality and making up different significations of the world as it is presented: small, very strict and faded.

However, the plot is captivating, as the two kids are complex characters with authentic feelings and typical wishes. Even though some scenes seem unnatural, exaggerated to harsh critics or even bothering for the very shy, I totally enjoyed every second of the tale about growing up and falling in love.

So, what is there to be said? If you haven't watched this yet, be sure to get over your preconceptions (in case you had any), and download it as soon as possible (not that I am encouraging piracy or something)! 

I am also willing to hear your impressions if you saw this sooner than me, which is not very hard.







1 comment:

  1. I have to watch this now, you have done such a great review! Like you I was waiting for the right opportunity to watch this movie, except as time passed I forgot. Thanks for reintroducing me, it is definitely on my to do list now :)
    emmasbeginning.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Similar posts